Saturday, 23 April 2011

Car Crash

When you concede in under ten minutes away from home it's always going to be a struggle, especially when it's against an in-form Liverpool side. And then when you go 2-0 down in 20 minutes, losing your goalkeeper in the process, you start to realise it might not be your day. By the time the fifth, and final, goal went in you really, really knew it wasn't our day.

The first by Maxi was handed to him on a plate when Foster failed to hold onto a fierce shot from Spearing and Liverpool went 1-0 up after just seven minutes of play. Never to be shot down though, and to their credit, Blues responded with a large amount of possession but, failing to do anything with it, were knocked back again when Liverpool went on a counter attack and after various blocks the ball eventually ended up in the back of the next courtesy of Dirk Kuyt, leaving Ben Foster in a heap on the floor. The England International played on for another 20 minutes to try and shake the knock off, but in the end had to be replaced by Colin Doyle just before half time.

Carr and Larsson did some good running down the wing in the first half but none of their crosses met anyone in the area, and all in all it was a thoroughly disappointing first half for Blues.

At the beginning of the second half Blues had a handful of chances, with Fahey coming close on a couple of occasions. But again, Blues failed to create with the possession they had and the travelling fans were willing them to just get the ball into the box - especially aiming this at Hleb who seemed to want to pass it into the net instead of shooting from a good possession - you don't play for Arsenal yet!

Liverpool struck again on 66 minutes with Maxi getting his second of the game. Suarez wasn't picked up and was able to loft a lovely ball into the area from the by-line and Maxi was on hand to make it 3-0 to the home side.

If the match wasn't over by then, just under ten minutes later it was. Suarez, again the creator, found Maxi in space and his pass struck the Argentinian. His first time shot was saved by Doyle, but he managed to get the rebound to complete his hat trick.

Blues were in search of a consolation, and with the away fans singing "we only want one goal!" substitutes Bentley and Phillips both produced saves from Reina, but neither could find a way past to Spaniard.

Joe Cole was on hand to pile yet more misery on Blues, scoring Liverpool's fifth goal in the 84th minute, with a shot that sneaked its way under Doyle in the Blues goal to complete a frustrating afternoon for the visiting side.

Conceding eight goals in the space of two goals and only scoring one - which was a penalty - does not making pretty reading (or watching!) but a win next Sunday against Wolves and all will be forgiven!

Full Time: Liverpool 5-0 Birmingham City

No comments:

Post a Comment