Tuesday 3 December 2013

The Football Bug

I’ll be the first person to admit that last season I somewhat ‘lost’ the football bug.

It was my first year an university, and I didn’t want to miss out on anything, so football unfortunately took a back seat.

That being said, part of me didn’t really want to go either. Disregarding the fact I didn't want to miss nights out and spending time with my new friends, I felt spending my money on watching some of those performances last season, well, just couldn’t be justified.

It was the first time in my life I’d had to fend for myself; meaning food, bills, and all the other important life essentials had to come out of my own money. Football just didn’t really come into it in my first term. And I don’t regret it.

In fact, I’m glad that my first year at university coincided with a pretty awful season for Blues, because it meant I didn’t miss out on nights and days out, nor did I miss out on many memorable games. It was a win, win situation looking back on it.

But this season, with everything a bit more chilled out in second year, it’s made me wonder how I could have missed as many games as I did last season. I suppose you never know how you'll feel until you're in a certain situation, and even though this year I have less money (the real world is not fun) I'm finding myself going to pretty much every game.

Tonight will be the fourth league game I’ve missed so far, and sitting here writing this it’s killing me that I’m not on a train to Birmingham. A culmination of work (which I really should be doing right now instead of this!) and lack of funds mean the game against Doncaster tonight is out of the question. But after my previous record of games I’ve missed so far (Sheffield Wednesday, Millwall and Barnsley – I know…) people will probably be relieved that my bad luck won’t be making an appearance tonight!

I’ve seen us win twice, at Yeovil and Huddersfield, but despite that so far I’ve enjoyed this season so much more than last already – and it’s only the start of December.

As much as I’ve always loved following the Blues win, lose or draw; last season did put a dampener on it. It’s hard to motivate yourself to spend money you don’t have and time you can’t really give up to support your team at every single game when what you’re getting back is abject performances and a close-call with regards to a relegation battle. The first half of last season for me was very much 'pick and choose.'

But with that being said I’ve never completely lost my love for football, and I know I never will. Last season was definitely a blip, but a blip I will never regret.

Despite some of the performances this season, especially our home form, and those games at Leeds and Burnley, I’m really enjoying following the Blues this season, and that fact makes me happy.

I don’t know how long I’ll be able to keep doing this for, so I’m definitely going to make the most of the fact that my weekends for the foreseeable future are occupied by football once more.

The only thing that’s complaining is my bank balance, but since when has that ever stood in the way of anything?! (An interest free overdraft, by the way, is a dangerous thing when you have a football addiction.)

Roll on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment