Saturday 18 September 2010

A game of two halves

The clique I hate the most in football and one that I swore I'd never use unless I had to... well, after today’s game I think it's safe to say: I had to use it. Because that is exactly what it was.

Due to lack of good streams (resulting in my computer getting a virus, may I add… thanks football) I had to listen to the game on the radio, but fron what I could make out, it didn’t sound good at all.

The first half was great by Blues, especially the first half an hour or so. Totally bossing the game we took the lead after a brilliant Seb Larsson freekick was tapped in on the volley by Jerome for his first goal of the campaign.

Up to half tine, Blues were calm on the ball and didn’t let up under pressure even after West Brom piled it on the Blues net just before the first 45 were up.

But then, it all seemed to change. Apparently Blues forgot that a game consists of 90 minutes, and not just 45. Apparently no one forgot to tell Scott Dann and Roger Johnson what ‘defending’ meant, as they had their worst game in a Blues shirt – which, when it’s your centre backs having a bad game, you know you’re in for a tough time.

Baggies equalised soon into the half and from then on it was all one-way traffic. The cool, casual and calm on the ball Blues we’d seen in the first half seemed to totally implode; resulting in the home side getting a further two goals which I’d prefer not to talk about as it would mean reliving the whole afternoon: something which I’d rather not do, if it’s all the same to you.

It’s not the end of the world, but it does mean we need to work extra hard to get the points out of our up and coming home games against an Everton team seemingly spiraling out of control and a Wigan team who are, well, Wigan.

On a day that the news broke that Alex McLeish had signed a new contract and that Sammy Yu had resigned from his position at the club, it has been a day of total mixed emotions, and one we are all going to have to pick ourselves up fron, and make sure doesn’t happen again. Amen to that.

Full Time: West Bromwich Albion 3-1 Birmingham City

No comments:

Post a Comment